OPRESCAS Application Synchronization
What is Application Synchronization?
- Application synchronization recognizes NCOPE residency programs that have elected to synchronize their application processes using OPRESCAS and their offer dates for residency positions. This enables candidates to have a consistent timeline and helps allow informed decisions when applying to multiple participating organizations.
This process has been defined by the Academy Hospital-Based O&P Practice committee independent of any NCOPE regulation, policies, and procedures. Any questions about this process should be directed to Heidi Truman, CPO – Heidi.Truman@ucsf.org.
Why Would an Organization Wish to Participate in Application Synchronization?
- Without application synchronization, residency candidates are often forced to accept and/or decline residency offers prior to having interviews at all sites of interest, or before knowing the full scope of their options. Inconsistent timelines across residency sites has led to mismatch issues for both the applicant and the residency site.
- Additionally, many residency sites have shifted their interview and selection dates to earlier times in the year to avoid competing with other institutions for qualified applicants.
How Does Application Synchronization Work?
- Each application cycle, participating organizations identify consistent dates for the following application events:
- Application Open Date
- Application Close Date
- Extension of Position Offer
- Period of Review for Accepted Candidates
What Are the Dates for the 2021-2022 Application Cycle?
- Application Open Date: 10/1/2021
- Application Close Date: 12/15/2021
- Initial Extension of Position Offer: 2/1/2022
- Initial Offer Acceptance Deadline: 2/4/2022
- Secondary Extension of Position Offer: 2/7/2022*
- Secondary Offer Acceptance Deadline: 2/10/2022*
* Only executed if the initial offer is declined by candidate
The extension of offer and acceptance deadlines are fixed and may not be deviated from even if extenuating circumstances present for the program or applicant. Programs are allowed to close the application early via OPRESCAS WebAdMIT but must clearly disclose this in the application materials. Programs reserve the right to schedule interviews and other application processes at their discretion so long as they do not deviate from the extension of offer and acceptance deadlines defined above.
Is Application Synchronization Only for Hospital-Based Residency Programs?
- No, all residency programs are welcome to participate including private practices and other settings.
- The hospital-based residency programs piloted the first year of the program in 2020-2021, but welcome participation from any accredited residency program.
Who Do I Contact to Learn More?
- Heidi Truman, CPO – Heidi.Truman@ucsf.edu
How Do I Sign-up to Participate in Application Synchronization?
- Simply complete a brief form and your site will be added to the list below.