2023 NCOPE Education Summit
Envisioning Future Needs
The NCOPE 2023 Education Summit on Challenges and Opportunities in O&P Education and Training: Envisioning Future Needs brought together 49 attendees including O&P faculty, clinicians, technicians, owners, residency directors, researchers, and administrators with the goal of defining the main issues affecting the sustainability and vitality of O&P education programs in relation to workforce and practice demands. The summit took place in Minneapolis, MN at the University of Minnesota on August 3-4, 2023. The meeting was facilitated by Lowell Aplebaum, FASAE, CAE, CPF, CEO at Vista Cova, LLC.
- Robin C. Seabrook, Executive Director at NCOPE
- Sue Spaulding, Associate Teaching Professor at the University of Washington
- Mike Madden, Instructor and Program Coordinator at Bluegrass Community & Technical College
- Sheryl Sachs, Prosthetist Orthotist Clinician at Dankmeyer Prosthetics and Orthotics Clinic
- Jonas Ljung, Prosthetist Orthotist Clinician at Hanger Clinic
- Josh Utay, Prosthetist Orthotist Clinician at Scottish Rite for Children
- Scott Bretl, Assistant Professor and Program Director at Alabama State University
Identifying Challenges and Opportunities
Challenges that impact the sustainability and vitality of O&P education programs were identified in a pre-summit survey. During the summit, these challenges were discussed in small groups by the participants. After the discussions, each attendee individually rated the importance of these challenges. The prioritization of these challenges is not NCOPE-specific; rather, they are relevant to the entire O&P profession.
Through a collaborative and iterative process, attendees discussed the challenges and opportunities for technician, assistant, practitioner, and residency education programs. With the goal to address the most urgent challenges facing the sustainability and vitality of O&P education, the attendees developed recommendations for each program level.
The 2023 Education Summit was a pivotal event, addressing critical challenges and charting a course for innovative solutions. The recommendations put forth serve as a roadmap for education to prepare graduates for evolving clinical demands, ensuring that O&P education and training remain effective, accessible, and sustainable for all O&P professionals.
The PDF document will appear immediately below this text. If it is not visible, this is likely due to an issue with your browser or firewall. You may refresh your browser or select “Download” at the bottom left-hand side of the page to access the document.